This project is read-only.

Remaining Trend Line Going Wrong Way?

Topics: Tackle Questions
Oct 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Has anyone had this problem? We have just started using Tackle and our remaining hours line goes from bottom left to top right. Looking at the burn down graph we will never catch up because as work is done we get further away from completion instead of using up the hours. What have I done wrong? I have looked at obvious things like allotted hours for a story being zero and we have applied the English_GB date localisation that seesm to be working alright. Just when we look at the burndown the trend line goes the wrong way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

PS, is this still being developed? It's a good product and should be continued IMHO.
Dec 10, 2008 at 8:57 AM
Edited Dec 10, 2008 at 8:58 AM
Hey Ian,

I have the same problem! Not sure why the line goes the other way! Looks like its a little quiet round these discussion forums - doubt we'll get an answer :(

Kevin
Dec 10, 2008 at 9:10 AM
Hi Kev,

You have reminded me to answer my own post! :-)

There is nothing wrong with the system, it is simply telling us that the amount of hours(work) we have set for a sprint far exceeds what we have available in terms of resources. Basically not enough people to physically clear the hours within the time given.

We are learning as we go along how best to use Tackle and how to use Scrum too. Just as soon as we actually put in an achieveable amount of features and tasks for a given sprint and assigned resources that were capable of possibly doing all or most of the work then the trend line started to go downhill. I get it now and it is very useful. We can now turn round and show management how far off we will be if a current trend continues and either we drop features or get more resources.

I think Tackle is a good tool and it's a shame there doesnt seem to be any support for it nowadays.

Regards,

Ian
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM
Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for this! I was getting worried :) Do you know if this "trend" takes into account the Discovered items and time you enter in? We've got quite a bit of time allocated to Discovered items. Do you think that if I was to complete scheduled tasks quicker than my estimates, then the trend line would come down?
Kev
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM
Sorry for the lack of responses over the past few months. The Tackle team is now also the team behind http://creators.xna.com so that's been keeping us very busy lately.

If we receive email about Tackle we do generally respond within a day or two, so the support is still there. We still use Tackle every day as well...

As to the thread question about the trend line. The trendline is based on the total remaining time of all tasks EXCEPT out of office/vacation times. Those do not get added into the remaining time line. The first thing to understand is to make sure you have all your known tasks into tackle on the first day of the sprint. Then as each day goes on in the sprint and you complete work, make sure to reduce the remaining time on the appropriate tasks. As long as you are completing tasks, the remaining line and therefore trend line should head down. If you aren't completing your tasks or always finding more work, then the burn down graph can alert you of that... but it should also indicate to you that you aren't planning well or punting work when finding higher priority discovered work.

If you have a specific question and aren't getting an answer on the forum, send me email at sean.jenkin@microsoft.com