Negative numbers

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:53 PM
I have a bunch of users that have a negative number for the work per day.  Anybody have a good idea on how to clean up the negative number?

It happens due to a common user error.

If you enter in the following hours remaining you will end up have a negative hours worked per day
5  6  7 
5  7  9

So for the 6th you will have and the 7th you will have a negative hours worked.  (to go from needing 5 hours to 7 hours on the 6th you had to work -2 hours)  I.E. 5 - (-2) = 7.

I know it is user error but management gets upset when a person works -2 hours during a day.  It is a more common error then I would have thought.  In the past 7 months I am averaging one complaint about it a week. (70+ users of tackel).

Rich
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2008 at 4:47 PM
The negative numbers are usually due to people putting in relative values where absolute values are needed for work done. Unfortunately there isn't really an easy way to fix this programmatically. It's a matter of going day by day and adding the correct numbers back in.

One thought to help prevent this would be to add code that detects when the value is changed in the total actual box and if the number is less that what it started as, to alert the user if they really want to do that...