Bulk data import/export

Topics: Feature Requests
Jan 18, 2008 at 2:04 AM
Edited Jan 18, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Any plans to allow import/export of product backlog items from a ".csv" file?
Coordinator
Feb 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM
There once was code in there to do exports but i may have pulled it before we released tackle.

In terms of import, nope, we didn't ever get that implemented. When I've had to do bulk imports, I get the excel file in a column matching format and paste directly into the appropriate database table.
Jun 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2008 at 5:02 PM

How do you paste the column into the appropriate database table?

We are trying out Tackle and are using SQL server 2005 express. I have installed the Tackle package and Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express and I can find the tables (I think) but so far I haven’t found a way to paste anything in these tables. Do you use another tool? Would it work with SQL Server Express?

Edit:
And how do you avoid breaking stuff for Tackle in the data base?

Edit2:
I guess I can answer my own question(s) now. Yes you can use Microsoft SQL Management Studio Express to paste data from excel sheets. From a bit of tinkering I'd say it's probably a good idea to have the columns in your excel sheet lined up with the columns in the table you want to paste it in.

1. Find the table you want to change in Management Studio and right-click and choose “Open Table”. (Now you can see the order of the columns if you did not know that before.)

2. Copy the line(s) you want to paste from the excel sheet.

3. Right-click to the left of the last line in the table (on the arrow and star) and select paste.

Update the browser where you are viewing Tackle and enjoy the result. :)