Very slow performance

Topics: Bug Discussion, Tackle Installation
Oct 10, 2007 at 2:42 PM
We've been using Tackle for a couple of months now and the perfomance is so bad it's almost unbearable to use. I think the product is great but trying to add information to the product backlog or editing information once in Edit Sprint Backlog can be very slow. We have a huge backlog of features awaiting to be worked on and the list is ever changing. It appears that the architecture using ASP.NET GridView and AJAX.NET simply cannot handle vast amounts of data - the 'Updating - Please Wait' div seems to sit there for ages. All developers connect via their own XP Pro machines using IE 7 or Firefox 2 accross a high speed network.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? It may be config settings or some other setup issue? We simply installed the msi download onto a Win2003 box running SQL 2005 following the instructions. No other setup or configuration was performed as far as I'm aware. The server is not dual core an only has 1gb ram but we run many other data hungry apps on it and have never experience perfomance issues like this.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2007 at 5:21 PM
We are running 35 different instances of Tackle on one server so the backend is probably not your problem.

When you are editing the product backlog, how many records are you displaying on the web page? All, 100 etc.? For the edit sprint backlog, how many features and tasks? The gridview and ajax.net code does indeed have problems where there are just too many elements on a page. Reducing the number of backlog items shown on an individual page should decrease the time waiting for the updates to complete.
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2007 at 5:44 PM
I think there is a couple of things I might be able to change on the edit sprint backlog page that would give significant speed increases to that page, however it's going to take a few days to get time to fully implement and test. I'll try to do that by the end of the week or the weekend if I run out of time before Friday.

Not sure there is much I can do to speed up the product backlog page. Best bet is to reduce the amount of backlog items shown on the page at one time.