Status of Tackle SxS installation with WSS?

Topics: Bug Discussion, Tackle Installation, Tackle Questions
Sep 13, 2007 at 3:01 PM
Has any progress been made towards resolving the inability to run Tackle on a machine with WSS installed? I only see a single forum post from 12/2006 describing the problem and an indication that this is being worked on. I've got a scenario where WSS had been installed at some point, but when the Tackle app is run, all of the menu options are disabled (ie. greyed out). Perhaps this isn't related to WSS, but I have successfully installed Tackle on other machines. Does anyone have insight into this behavior.

Thanks!
-bill
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2007 at 4:38 PM
Yep, I thought we had posted this but it's only on the ms internal site... so here goes:

"Had time to get back around to trying Tackle on the machine with SharePoint Services. To get Tackle to run on the same machine, I went into SharePoint Central Administration and removed ‘Default Web Site’ from SharePoint Services control. After doing that, I installed and ran Tackle successfully."

The other thing I've seen work is that WSS forces anonymous access to on even if IIS is showing it's off. There is a WSS admin page that contains the anonymous access setting. Find that, turn it off and you should be good to go.
Sep 13, 2007 at 5:13 PM
Hmm. As I said, WSS had been installed on the machine at some point in the past, but appears to have been removed. The SharePoint Admin web application was still showing in IIS MMC and I have already removed it with no change in behavior (not that it would anyway). The issue on this machine is that all of the menu options are disabled. Since the menus are not dependent on the database for their captions, it would appear that I have an access control issue. I am a local admin on the machine, so I can't explain why I would see this behavior. I would expect this behavior to occur (correctly) when a user simply hasn't been granted an access level high enough to make the menu options available. How does the security level-to-menu options take place? As I said before, I have successfully installed Tackle on multiple servers with no problems, only this one.

Thanks.
-bill
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2007 at 11:43 PM
Check IIS Manager and confirm that the anonymous access to Tackle has been turned off. The menu's are controlled by the user you are hitting tackle with and whether that user has any privs above read-only.
Nov 19, 2007 at 6:24 PM
I have the same issue. I have WSS 3.0 installed on a different website on the same machine (port 81). And, I installed Tackle on 80 under virtual folder Tackle. All menu items other than reports are disabled.

I am the local admin and I am logged in as the domain admin. BTW, WSS 3.0 default behavior is "exclude" - you have to add folders to "include" (this is inverse of WSS 2.0)

I have checked IIS Manager - anon access to Tackle is turned off. I tried turning it on and then turning it off. That did not help.
Nov 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM
I figured out the issue. Turns out I forgot to change the default administrator - during install from Alias to my account. And, I did actually go into the DB and make the change but put the domain name also. So, that messed it up.

shikarishambu wrote:
I have the same issue. I have WSS 3.0 installed on a different website on the same machine (port 81). And, I installed Tackle on 80 under virtual folder Tackle. All menu items other than reports are disabled.

I am the local admin and I am logged in as the domain admin. BTW, WSS 3.0 default behavior is "exclude" - you have to add folders to "include" (this is inverse of WSS 2.0)

I have checked IIS Manager - anon access to Tackle is turned off. I tried turning it on and then turning it off. That did not help.