This project is read-only.

Localization Not Working (was: New Product)

Topics: Bug Discussion, Feature Requests
Aug 21, 2007 at 9:19 AM
When I try to create a new product, I have this error :
Development Error. You have found a bug in the Tackle site. Please email the site administrators at tntds@microsoft.com and supply a description of the action you were taking and the URL you were trying to reach. Please also copy and paste the text from below into the email. Thanks!

ErrorCode: 80131904
InsertEmptyProductRecord :line 0: : ErrorNumber 8114: Error converting data type nvarchar to datetime.
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
à System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
à System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
à System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar()
à TackleUtility.CallStoredProc(String SProc, SqlParameter[] sqlParams, GridView gv, SProcReturnValue spRetVal)Development Error. You have found a bug in the Tackle site. Please email the site administrators at tntds@microsoft.com and supply a description of the action you were taking and the URL you were trying to reach. Please also copy and paste the text from below into the email. Thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM
I'd suggest you download the localization add-in and follow the instructions to setup tackle for a localized install. The problem you are seeing is due to a mismatch between the UI and database culture / language setting, (http://www.codeplex.com/Tackle/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=1738)
Oct 6, 2007 at 7:10 PM
Dear Seanjenkin,
I have followed the instructions for the localized version but i still get the error. Do i need to convert the database to the new culture ?

Mihai
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2007 at 8:22 PM
You don't need to convert the database to a new culture, but you do need to set the TackleUser account to match the language you are expecting to use. As long as the db and web site are speaking the same "language" this error should go away.
Oct 7, 2007 at 8:34 AM

seanjenkin wrote:
You don't need to convert the database to a new culture, but you do need to set the TackleUser account to match the language you are expecting to use. As long as the db and web site are speaking the same "language" this error should go away.

hmmm......did that already and double checked it....
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2007 at 6:15 PM
Can you please send me your web.config file - sean.jenkin@microsoft.com - so I can check what locales you have set up?
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2007 at 11:28 PM
To wrap up this discussion topic, the problem was resolved and fixed. Details...

mihaim is using the Danish UI and Culture information along with Danish as the login language. Tackle however does still contain some hard coded values that assume decimal points (.) instead of commas (,) in the numbers. There were 8 or so pages that needed updating for up to 3 things.

1. The update and/or insert parameters weren't specifically set up as floats, so the conversion of the numeric types were failing.
2. Some required field validators have 0.01 hardcoded which isn't converting correctly.
3. The daily scrum entry page contains hardcoded lists of update times (0.25, 0.50 etc.) which work incorrectly with the Danish language setting.

Right now, the changes are under testing by mihaim. If all things are working, we'll look at releasing the updated files in the future. We are currently evaluating the work to fix a few issues and to roll up all the changes released independantly since January 07 and release a 1.1 update. Stay tuned.

If you run into a similar locale issue while setting up tackle, please contact me directly (sean.jenkin@microsoft.com) and we'll deal with this 1:1 until an official release is made.