Scrum Theory and Terms

Topics: Tackle Questions
Aug 14, 2007 at 3:42 PM
The body of knowledge supporting Scrum is growing and each author has introduced new terms and concepts.

Some of the newer terms are supported by Tackle. Some older terms are abbreviated but not described in the current help. Definitions of the following terms would be helpful to me.

Product Entry - Studio
Scrum Schedule – Theme
Daily Scrum Entry – Base
Unbuff
Disc
OOF

It would also be helpful to know what literature was used as the basis of the terms used in Tackle. I would be willing to provide updated help files if someone can point me to the references that describe these terms.
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2007 at 4:46 PM
Most of these came from our own internal adoption of scrum. As a rough guide:

Studio - The company/organization/group the team is part of.
Theme - A brief description of the work or planned output from the sprint. Used by us to convey to management the sprint overview.
Base - The initial estimate that the task will take.
Unbuff - Unbuffered - If a task is a time-boxed period of time (such as a meeting, training etc.), checking this will cause Tackle to adjust the available hours for a resource by not including a buffer for that task.
Disc - Discovered Task - A task that was not planned at the start of the sprint but that is associated with a feature in the sprint.
OOF - Out of Office - Vacation, sick leave, etc.

Hope that helps!
Aug 22, 2007 at 3:56 AM
I have noticed that there's no option in Tackle to input list of Impediments, impediments or block lists are obstacles brought up by the team during daily scrum meetings. Block lists is owned by the Scrum Master that should be resolved as quickly as possible and should be updated daily. How do you handle it in Tackle?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2007 at 7:32 AM
You can use the notes field for a task to note the blocking issue. If it becomes a large enough issue, add it as a new task either in the discovered tasks section or in the appropriate feature and mark it as discovered so it can be tracked accordingly.
Aug 22, 2007 at 10:08 AM

seanjenkin wrote:
You can use the notes field for a task to note the blocking issue. If it becomes a large enough issue, add it as a new task either in the discovered tasks section or in the appropriate feature and mark it as discovered so it can be tracked accordingly.

I was thinking about that, using the discovered tasks for blocking issue but it can only be assigned to a sprint resource, Is it ok to add the scrum master as part of the sprint resource even if he is not assigned to any tasks (except the blocking issues), no impact on the reports?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2007 at 3:24 PM
Sure, you can add the scrum master as a resource and just assign these tasks as needed without impacting burndown etc.